Friday, October 29, 2010

Rule for Life

When I think of having my own personal rules for life, I first think of the Law of Moses. How it was given to the Israelites by God through Moses, and how despicably they had failed in upholding it. I think having rules in your own life are good. But it should also be taken into account the impossibility of ever accomplishing them to their fullest extent as they were meant to be. There, of course, can be no greater law than the Law of Moses. Or can there be?
    For there is a new law in place now. One that we as Christians take up as our guide. This is the Law of Christ, through the great counselor the Holy Spirit. This new law gives us capabilities of making our own rules for life, in that we have the ability to discern and decide what is right and what is wrong. We no longer need the law of Moses. We have the words of Jesus. So, what rules can we adopt according to this?
    The best way I can think of forging my own personalized rules for life (based on my personality and struggles), is to mimic the life of Jesus. Humility, servant hood, kindness, and all the practical steps that go along with it. To be slow to anger, and hopefully never anger at all. To speak gently and wholesomely. To think not less of myself but of myself less. But, to put this in perspective; it is not I who am crafting my own rules so I can be a better person, it is actually Christ working through me to bring glory to his Father, through the law his very own nature and Spirit.

No comments:

Post a Comment